Liebster Award || Discover New Blogs
I had the honor of being nominated for the Liebster Award by Marie of DIY Adulation. (I was also nominated by Jacqueline of Crazy Quirky Mom.) This award is given by bloggers to other bloggers in an effort to discover, support, and welcome new bloggers to the blogosphere. In this post I am going to answer 11 questions, given to me by Marie, to help everyone get to know me. Then I will tell you 11 random facts about myself to help you get to know me even better! Finally, I will nominate 5-11 other new bloggers to accept the Liebster Award. For more information about this award and the official rules, go read this blog post. I found it clarifying and extremely helpful. Also, feel free to save the graphic I created above to use on your site if you've been nominated!
11 Questions from Marie:
1. What was the scariest part of launching your own blog?
I think the scariest part is putting myself out there for the whole world to see. I'm challenging myself to learn, grow and become someone better and that can be a scary thing. I have very little experience and in a world of competition not everyone is willing to help. I hope I am always willing to reach out and lift up the people around me.
2. What is your post creation process? (ie: do you write them on paper first, free-form brainstorm, or start with the photos?)
It depends on the day, honestly. Some days it starts with the photos. Other days it starts with a story or a thought that's been in my mind for a very long time. Lately I've been using the free planner from The Blog Bar to write notes, help me stay organized, and focus on my goals.
3. What area would be or was the first area you hired outside help for?
I love to expand my knowledge and figure things out on my own, but I think the next area I would look for help is in affiliation, collaboration, and advertising. I want to know how to be more successful in that department.
4. What candy is your weakness?
Dark chocolate + caramel. If they're together, even more tempting.
5. When working, do you need complete quiet, tv on in background, or music rocking out in your headphones?
It depends on what work I am doing. I need to be in complete quiet to write. I need music to rock out to while I clean. Sometimes there is TV in the background against my own will, and I have to adapt. I definitely prefer quiet.
6. If you said television or music, what’s your go to show or song? If you said quiet, where do you achieve that at?
Nap time is the sanctuary of quiet for me. I lounge on my couch with my computer and work on whatever I want. I usually clean while Turner is awake, blast the music, and have a dance party. My favorite song right now is I Need Your Love by Shaggy. My favorite TV show right now? Brooklyn 99.
7. What is a great book you have read lately (or, you know, the last time you had time to sit and read a book)?
The last time I read a book it was an audio book called The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge. It was super interesting, but I only got an hour in and forgot to listen to the rest. Maybe I should continue it...?
8. What is your favorite kid or home life hack?
My favorite home life hack is the "always dirty" rule we have with our dishwasher. This means that the dishwasher is always filled with dirty dishes right after they are used, then taken out right as they are clean to allow room for more dirty dishes. Ever since we started doing it we hardly EVER have dirty dishes in the sink. I'm hooked for life.
9. Your birthday: celebrate it or keep it quiet?
C E L E B R A T E ! ! It took me a while to admit it, but I love to be pampered and spoiled. So I always milk it on my birthday.
10. Coffee or tea and how do you take it?
Neither. I don't drink caffeine.
11. What is your favorite summertime activity and why?
Anything that involves being outside! I love sunshine, swimming, boating, hiking, lawn games, gardening, fireworks, star gazing, camping, and marshmallow roasting! I guess if I HAD to pick one it'd by swimming. I'm a mermaid at heart.
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I have never traveled outside of the United States. NEVER. My husband and I plan on changing that. Hopefully, in the near future.
2. I think videos of llamas, goats and cats are THE FUNNIEST things ever. I have no idea why. I mean just watch this. I AM DYING OVER HERE. *crying from laughing emoji*
3. I somewhat consider myself an experienced hair stylist. I have not been to cosmetology school, but I've been styling hair since the 4th grade. See one of my latest hair tutorials here!
4. I love shopping. I also love saving money and staying on a budget. To appease both, sometimes I fill up an online cart with things I really want and don't purchase any of it just for therapeutic purposes.
5. My birthstone is Amethyst. I took a "quiz" on a website about what the stone and color resemble and I thought it fit me pretty well!
6. I'm the 5th child of 7. I often call myself the oldest of the 2nd litter because my mom had the first 4 really close together and then 5 years later had me, followed by my little sister and brother. Follow up to the previous fact, I was the peacemaker among the 3 younger siblings because they were ALWAYS fighting.
7. I don't have a middle name and I have always loved it. We plan on continuing that tradition with our future daughters.
8. I am a very sentimental person. I keep sweet notes, ticket stubs, and gifts in a keepsake box in my closet. I also have sentimental feelings with many songs. Songs we listened to while Matthew and I were dating, our wedding song/first dance as a married couple, the songs I used to sing to with my Dad, the song we put on our pregnancy announcement video, and the list goes on!
9. Music has always touched my soul. Music of every kind has a way of making me feel something deep inside of myself. I have been singing since primary, enrolled in choir classes in jr. high, musicals, jazz choir, a cappella, solo performances, and I still sing whenever I get the chance.
10. People always pronounce my name wrong, and I answer to all variations. My name is Cheree, but It is pronounced [sure-ee]. I am often called Sherry, Cherry, Charisse and Chree. My maiden name, Champlin, was often construed as Champlain, Chaplin, and Champagne. I thought once I took on my husband's name it would go away, but Salter is still mispronounced as Slater. The latest is Charisse Olter. It's pretty hilarious!! We laugh about it a lot.
11. I will eat pretty much anything put in front of me. I love trying new cuisines. It's somewhat of a problem because I also have a sweet tooth. My husband often comes home and says, "Who ate all of the (enter sweet treat here)?" I'm always thinking to myself he had to have some, and slowly I come to the realization that I ate them all. It's kind of depressing, and extremely embarrassing. HA!
My Nominations for the Liebster Award:
I now nominate the following blogs. Heart of Confetti, SLC Blog, Wise Soul Blog, The Racing Thoughts of a Social Work Mom, and Made by Meggs. These blogs vary from fashion and beauty to travel adventures and stories of motherhood. I love them all and highly suggest you check them out! Now here are the questions for my nominees!
11 Questions for My Nominees:
1. What's the story behind the name of your blog/how did you come up with it?
2. What's the most frustrating part of blogging for you, and how do you overcome it?
3. What motivates you to be your best self?
4. What was the last thing that made you laugh until you cried?
5. Do you have a nerdy quality that you want to tell us about?
6. What 3 things make you super happy?
7. What is your favorite sweet treat?
8. What is your favorite song/artist?
9. What are some of your biggest goal and aspirations?
10. If a genie poofed in front of you at this very moment, what 3 things would you wish for?
11. What is your ideal vacation/location?